All mums and dads know that it’s important for their kids to have a healthy mouth. Here are 5 expert tips to ensure you can keep your child’s teeth healthy and their smile cute!
1) This one is obvious, but it is firmly at number one for good reason. Brushing their teeth twice a day with a fluoride toothpaste removes soft plaque deposits and debris. The fluoride in the toothpaste also works to strengthen and protect the teeth in between brushing.
2) Make brushing as fun as possible. Little things can mean a lot to little ones. Letting them choose their own toothbrush will help them engage more with cleaning their teeth. You could clean your teeth at the same time and show them how fun it can be making lots of foam.
3) Get digital! This ties in with making toothbrushing fun. There are lots of fun apps and songs you can enlist the help of. Search on your app store for children’s toothbrush timers or check out this article: https://www.exceptionalsmiles.dental/blog/toothbrush-timer-apps-help-kids-love-brushing-teeth/
4) Diet. Kids naturally have a sweet tooth and it’s fine for them to indulge in the occasional treat – but the keyword is occasional. Children’s day to diet should limit sugar, this includes drinks. Children’s main drink should always be water.
It’s very important to restrict snacking. The frequency of the teeth being subjected to sugar is generally more important than the quantity when it comes to dental care.
5) Dental visits are vital for your child’s dental health.Children who reach the age of nine without having tooth decay have a 90 per cent chance of never having a filling in their lifetime – something to aspire to.
Regular dental health examinations from a young age will ensure children won’t suffer from untreated dental decay that could have a devastating effect on their growing teeth. There are a number of preventative treatments that our team can provide for children.